Monday, June 05, 2006

Reading List

I like to read about ten books simultaneously- both academic and non-academic. It satisfies all the different brain lobes and also helps to enforce a state of constant stress- feeling like you are never reading enough, doing enough, living enough, sleeping enough. Ickily, I like that feeling.

1. A Woman in Jerusalem- A.B. Yehoshua- I used to read voraciouly Middle Eastern fiction and non-fiction. Until I just stopped. For no apparent reason other than battle fatigue. I like this book though since I am fascinated by migrant workers, particularly in Israel and in Dubai (see a great Vanity Fair article in May 2006 on this subject). There is really limited literary representation of these lost people- straddled between worlds, earning far more than in their native countries but suffering along the way, particularly in countries with insular identities.

2. The Lost Life of Eva Braun- Angela Lambert- A really irritating biography of Eva Braun's relationship with Hitler. There is a whole chapter on the comic books that both liked, no joke. I have to throw it down in disgust often, but I always pick it up again.

3. The White Man's Burden- William Easterly- Awesome, awesome, awesome. A groundbreaking economic account/history of the failures of "big government and NGO" development efforts in the global South. It is a perfect contrast to the utopian vision of Jeffrey Sachs in The End to Poverty which I am forcing myself to finish but it is really my bag book- I stick it in my purses to make sure I have something to read if I have five minutes of down-time at the mall or the petrol station (or watching two hours of a Miss Italia beauty pageant rehearsal under false premises. Don't ask, but let's just say don't fall for the old "this meeting will only be 20 minutes and we can get Italian Club pizza afterwards." Three espressos later, one conversation with a Sicilian mobster, half a regina pizza later, I'm still here).

4. AIDS and South Africa: The Social Expression of a Pandemic- ed. by Kyle Kauffman and David Lindauer- very, very good particularly the chapter on the South African national goverment's crisis of leadership on this issue. It suits my dissertation since one chapter offers an institutional account of the virus' spread throughout South Africa.

5. AIDS in the 21st Century: Disesase and Globalization- Tony Barnett and Alan Whiteside- the bible. Paged through and dog-eared many times over. This is the bible of social science accounts of HIV/AIDS. It is incredibly far-reaching and sweeping and covers economic, social, and clinical origins and outcomes of this disease.

6. French Women Don't Get Fat- oh shame, still haven't managed to go on that three-day leek fast. Next week, I promise. For reference only.

7. British Vogue- April 2006- This reminds me of the chick who came over to my apartment (shared with my then college boyfriend) and proclaimed to my then boyfriend (upon seeing my Vogues) "but I thought she was a feminist!" She then went into the bathroom and smelled all of my shampoos and conditioners and told me "now I know why your hair smells so good." I still love Vogue and if make-up is incompatible with feminist beliefs, I don't think there is a single feminist in Jo'burg cause the most common make-up brush used here is trough and scraper.

8. South African Style- Taschen sexy art book- love the pictures of vineyards and Cape beaches. It is fluff and but it was a nice present and I may regift the idea.

9. Economic behavior and institutions- Thrainn Eggertson- the definitive origins of new institutional economics. This is a book you have to work at, but I really need to master it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

12:18 AM  
Anonymous bons said...

Great suggestions - I'm going to order a few of these and check them out. I'm book deprived.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home