Wednesday, June 07, 2006

But is it statistically significant?

I am really surprised. I just tutored a first year B.Com undergrad student at Wits (University of Witswatersrand) in inferential statistics (please do not laugh anyone who attended MI451 at the LSE with me as you may recall my reading Heat throughout most classes and begging MH to teach me what standard deviation was three days before the exam). I actually really like stats now and am using quantitative analysis all the time in my dissertation and consulting work. Go figure...

Anyway, her course (again a first year undergrad) goes far more into depth in regression/inferential statistics than our London School of Economics postgrad course did. Can you believe it? Sometimes I feel like "brand name" education is as meaningful a label as "designer" jeans (speaking of which---- my really expensive designer jeans are holding up much worse than the Chicos jeans my mom bought for me). And, yes, Chicos is really middle-aged (even more so than Eileen Fisher) but they fit well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bons said...

I feel exactly the same way! Whenever I tell people I went to LSE they assume that I have all of these abilities that I clearly don't have - quantitative anything included!

PS - Heat! Omg how I miss Heat.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home