Tuesday, February 28, 2006

You've Got to be Kidding

I'm sitting in the Marhaba Lounge in Dubai, slightly delirious. There was a screaming child across the aisle from me for about five hours, and the Italian middle-aged "gentleman" next to me believed it was his birthright to place his large arm over the armrest and into my rib. He then promptly fake slept all the while elbowing me more sharply. I love the Emirates flight attendants- most are porcelain-skinned with really dramatic red lipstick. They all wear tight chignons, although in an odd fashion choice, seem forced to wear red scrunchies. Upon departure and landing, they don red velvet pillbox hats with a white chiffon scarf draping one side of their face.

Enter Dubai International Airport. Gold palm trees. Flashing lights. Strange men sleeping on the floor. I feel feverish and delusional and have just finished "Under the Banner of Heaven." At this point in my exhaustion, I'm ready to receive a revelation from the Prophet Moroni (this book is fabulous and about Mormon Fundamentalism and the juxtaposition between religious fervor and rationale).

Two more hours until an even longer flight to Jo'burg. The Sunday Times (www.sundaytimes.co.za) claims that a prolonged electricity crash, maybe complete infrastructural breakdown, is imminent in South Africa.

I want to work but it is sometime in the middle of the night and the call to prayer is really loud. I tried to surf my favorite blog about interchangeable jappy chicks (http://ijc.typepad.com) but received this intimidating message on my browser:
"We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates." So sorry for my cultural imperialism...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home